Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sometimes, it's all that I have..

I was listening to a radio commercial yesterday - which I don't typically do. (I'm one of those people that changes the stations everytime that a commercial comes on..)

But the station was asking for callers to call in and admit to stuff that they cannot stand..

One lady called and said "I hate whenever people leave less than 20% for a tip.." she continued on by adding "...It makes me just want to toss the tip right back at you! Jerks!"

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't like that answer too much.

Look, don't get me wrong, I understand. I use to waitress. And believe me, waitressing in a small town restaurant (up on a mountain) doesn't bring in very much in tips - a lot of people didn't tip at all!!

But that's just life. I learned very quickly not to get upset about a tip. Sometimes, people are rude and don't want to leave you a tip - true. But sometimes, people just don't have the extra 20% to leave.
Whenever Joshua and I go out to eat, we order pretty cheap meals - we know that we don't have the money to order expensive things. We always make sure to clean up any spills that we make, pick up all of our trash, and yes.. I even stack all the dishes properly so that you don't have to spend as much time cleaning the table. But sometimes I just don't have the money to leave a big tip.

I always try to leave $2 or $3. That's a $1.50 per person.. which is really all the extra that we have. Whenever I can, I leave about $5. But Joshua and I never eat more than about $20 worth of food, including tax.

So, if you're waitressing, keep in mind whenever someone doesn't tip you as well as you'd like - it may be all that they can afford ;; and they don't have to tip you at all.

Yes, I know that people don't always have to go out to eat, but some people (like truck drivers) don't have too much of a choice - so there are always circumstances where people cannot help it.
I was not compensated for this post in any way. The opinions expressed here are 100% my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment